Monday 21 October 2013

Sirke Wale Pyaaz - Indian restaurant style pickled onions


Sirke Wale Pyaaz - Indian restaurant style pickled onions

Ruby red , crunchy , sweet and sour all at once these pickled onions were a standard accompaniment to all Indian /Punjabi  meals that you ate in  restaurants in the 90s .


red vinegar onions restaurant style

For some reason I dont see them so much these days but I love them so I decided to make them . A little bit of trial and error this recipe worked the best just like the sirke walle pyaaz at Kumar Sweets in Dehradoon.

The first time I tried making these I just put onions in vinegar but that resulted in only a very slight pink color and not such a great taste! I guess thats how American pickled onions are made ......since thats all I could find on the internet .



 But this recipe is perfect....the secret to getting a nice full bodied color is the beetroot! :)



restaurant style sirka pyaaz


INGREDIENTS
Onions (the tiny kind ) : 200 grams cleaned 
Regular White Vinegar : 1 cup
Peppercorn : 7
Bay leaf : 2
Sugar : 4 teaspoons
Salt: to taste
Beetroot : 1 small beetroot chopped

DIRECTIONS

Boil vinegar along with peppercorns , bay leaf , sugar and salt for around 5 minutes .

Add thinly sliced beetroot.

As soon as you add the beetroot vinegar will change color to a ruby red .

Boil for another 2-3 minutes.

Put clean dry onions in a clean dry clean glass bottle .

Strain the red vinegar solution into the glass bottle .

Add a few pieces of the beetroot that you strained out into the bottle as well.

Keep in the fridge .

Eat after 24 hours , gets better with time as onions loose their sharpness 

.Keeps well for 2-3 weeks as long as it dosent come in contact with water!




9 comments:

  1. These are my favorite to eat with Indian food especially with curry. Yum! Thanks for sharing this and cannot wait to make them.
    So glad to have found your blog and happy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Asmita ! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog :) it means so much to me :))

      Delete
  2. There you go I found you too. Love this Onions so tangy, can almost feel the bite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello girl from mumbai :D so glad you visited my blog....<3

      Delete
  3. Pickled onions.....yum . Gonna have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colette :) Thanks for stopping by I hope you enjoy making and eating the onions :)

      Delete
  4. My paternal grandmother's fave! You look adorable in the video x s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shayma....thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment :) hope you try them soon sometime . Love A

      Delete